Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lay Renewal Training, Glen Sheppard and the Discipline of Evangelism

Hello everyone! Hope you are having a great Tuesday.

I am quite thankful to everyone that participated in our Preparation Group Training this past Sunday. Leaders, you should be getting a card in the mail encouraging you to take the following two steps: 1)Reviewing and Assessing what your team will need to accomplish and 2) planning your first meeting with your team. Just a reminder, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our General Chairperson(s), Tracy & Kathryn Walls or myself.

Our Preparation Group Leaders are: Prayer Group - Pam Dollar & Kathy Bradford, Communication Group - Connie Still & W.L. Farmer, Publicity Group - Pat Story & Jacqueline Evans, Coffee Group - Lonnie & Melissa Nelms, Food Group - Gary & Dennette McDaniel & Cheris Gardner

Please don't forget this Wednesday Night Activities.
6:30 Supper for Youth and Children
7:00 Adult Prayer and Praise, Youth Group, Mission Kids

I would implore everyone to make to Wednesday Night Prayer a priority as we prepare for for our upcoming Lay Renewal!

Glenn Sheppard of International Prayer ministries has been in Revival services this week at Ebenezer Baptist Church. I heard him last night and yesterday morning. He said something to a group of pastors that really got my attention.

"Evangelism is done first in the closet of intercession with brokennesss over the lost condition of people."

Recently, I have been reading a book by Patrick Morley on Spiritual Disciplines. He shares how he has shared Christ with many people, especially men over the past several years. He tells how many have told him that he must have the "gift" of evangelism. He states,

"I don't. It's true that I do a lot of evangelism, but I do it as an act of discipline. Evangelism is not my natural interest, nor my spiritual gifting. I do it because of the following declaration by Jesus, our Master: 'You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; an you will be my witnesses...(Acts 1:7-8).

"Clearly from this verse, part of what it means to be a disciple is to be a witness--either by gifting or by discipline. So I look at this verse and say to myself, 'I am willing to substitute discipline for a lack of natural interest." I do this for Jesus. I also do it for the men [to which I minister]."
(emphasis added)

Hope everyone has a great evening. Look forward to seeing you Wednesday Night.

Rodney

No comments: